Flynn is the economic engine room of Queensland
The Electorate of Flynn is named in honour of the Reverend John Flynn OBE, 1880–1951, founder of the Royal Flying Doctor Service, who, in the early days of flying and also of radio harnessed both to the relief of suffering and the saving of lives in the remote regions of Queensland and, ultimately, Australia.
Flynn extends west from Gladstone and Gayndah to include Mount Morgan, Monto, Biloela, Moura, Blackwater and Emerald. Its industries include a mix of mining and agriculture, as well as heavy industry around Gladstone.
Flynn consists of:
- Banana Shire Council,
- Central Highlands Regional Council,
- Gladstone Regional Council,
- North Burnett Regional Council,
- Woorabinda Aboriginal Shire Council,
- part of the Bundaberg Regional Council,
- part of the Rockhampton Regional Council, and
- part of the South Burnett Regional Council.